What can a Urogynecologist do for you?

Having issues with "Mom Bladder"? Trouble with urine leakage, bowel leakage, prolapsed bladder or uterus? How about bladder infections? Painful intercourse? All of these things and more are what a Urogynecologist, the female pelvic health doctor, treat.

Being a mother is God's greatest gift, but it can take a toll on a woman's body. Things don't work down there like they used to before kids. Most commonly, urinary incontinence but sometimes problems with bowel leakage can occur after childbirth. Additionally, things fall , or prolapse. Most often the urethra, bladder, and uterus then the rectum. Dropped urethra and bladder can lead to urinary incontinence, bladder infections and discomfort with intercourse. Prolapse of the uterus often goes along with prolapse of the bladder as both share a common support. The fate of one is usually the fate of the other.

Bladder infections can be associated dropped bladder and incomplete bladder emptying. Another, often overlooked cause of incomplete bladder emptying and infections is lack of relaxation of the pelvic floor muscles (Kegel Muscles). Pelvic floor physical therapy can help with the muscles just as it would with any other muscle in the body.

Treatments for bladder infections and prolapse can include replacement of vaginal estrogen, mechanical support of the prolapse with a pessary, or surgical normalization of the pelvic anatomy so that normal function follows. In each case, treatment is tailored to individual need and desires. FOr more information visit our website at or call us at 513-942-7640